Maintaining the instruments and equipments in the laboratory in their best condition, and operating them with full knowledge is the best you can do.This ensures that you use them for a long time, use their full worth, enjoy your investment on them, and also yield the most out of the lab. For this, you must learn the best practices of using equipments. And you must be specially careful towards those lab instruments, which are expensive and difficult to operate units.
Why learn to operate the stainless steel glove box carefully
The stainless steel made glove boxes are also expensive cleanroom instruments which must be operated with lots of care to maintain their shape and functionality intact for a long time. Any carelessness while handling them can result in the damage of the instrument, damage of items which are being used inside the box, and failure of the experiment or process that was being carried out inside it, and also injury to the lab staff handling it. Overall, any serious mishandling may result in explosion of the instrument too due to air pressure differences, which may cause serious damage to life and property in the lab. That is why, a stainless steel glove box demands responsible handling by staffs who are well educated and trained to handle it.
Recommended practices to handle a stainless steel glove box
Some of the recommended practices to handle it are as follows:
- Be careful while opening the antechamber of the glove box. You cannot afford to create air pressure differences.
- The gloves must be handled with care sweat from hands also can damage the rubber of the gloves. Hence to avoid it, you must wear a set of absorbent gloves in hands first, and then enter hands in the glove box gloves. This will keep the rubber in best condition and avoid tears in it.
- Be careful while handling sharp objects and pointed things while wearing the gloves. The gloves may tear or leak from them, and this may result in change in air pressure inside the box. If the maintained air pressure gets altered, then the experiment would fail, and also there may be an explosion.
- Be very careful with the chemicals that you use inside the glove box. Some of the chemical are capable of changing the potency and effectiveness of the catalyst bed used inside the box. If the catalyst bed potency and working changes then the box would not be of any use.
- The catalyst bed would have to be changed in every 3 to 6 months and regenerated. Missing to track these changes would lead to inferior efficiency of the glove box.
Simply adhering to these tips can help one use the Laboratory Glove Box well while using the full efficiency of the instrument. The expensive instrument is an asset of the lab, and must be therefore looked after and handled carefully. This would help you get accurate results of work and experiments done inside the glove box.